Mary Scott née Lucas
b. 1912 (BAA 1946-5I)

Born in Bristol. Studied Bristol Art School, Slade School of
Art c.1932; 1934-37 Royal Academy Schools, transferred
from painting to sculpture (silver medallist); met William
Scott whom she married 1937. Travelled abroad to Italy and
France. Spring 1938 settled Pont Aven where set up the
Pont Aven School of Painting with William and Geoffrey
Nelson. Left France at outbreak of War for Dublin, birth of
Robert Scott. Spring 1940 returned to London; 1941 birth
of James Scott. Same year moved to Hallatrow, set up
market garden. December 1945 shared exhibition with
William Scott: Watercolours and Drawings by William and
Mary Scott
, Leger Galleries. Summer 1946 taught Bath Art
School, then BAA part-time, taught modelling in clay as well
as life drawing to teacher-training pupils. She and William
Scott, both members of Bath Society of Artists until c.1953.
Received commission from Hertfordshire County Council for
statue for one of Hertfordshire primary schools in 1950’s.
(C & R Ellis and Corsham students worked on several other
projects for Hertfordshire C.C.). 1956 included in
Contemporary Sculpture, Hanover Gallery.

93 Maquette for ‘Standing Figure’ c. 1953
plaster and wax

height 12 inches

Exh: The bronze ‘Standing Figure’ for which this was
a maquette exhibited Contemporary Sculpture
Hanover Gallery, July-September 1956
(56 illustrated)
Collection: The Artist